Sightseeing in Berlin - Part 2

Hi everyone!

I am now back in England after having spent a week in Berlin. As I said in my last post, I want to tell/show you everything else I got up to whilst I was there!




Visiting the Berlin Wall is a must for anyone who goes to Berlin. Despite already having visited twice, it still amazed me just how long it is (and there is only a small part of it left standing now). 




The first part of the wall I walked past displayed the quote below and of course I love an inspirational quote.




The artwork on the wall is so contemporary and really interesting to look at.






... and another cute quote!




The picture above (I was told) is one of the most famous paintings on the wall. The two politicians are Erich Honecker (who was the East German leader), and the other is Leonid Brezhnev (who was the Soviet leader). If you're a history fan and are super interested in this picture click here.








One of my favourite parts of the wall is shown in the picture below. There is a purple flower for every person that died whilst trying to cross the wall.




As I was walking to the River Spree to go on a boat cruise I bumped into this huge statue of a green ampelmann. I found it cool but the face was a little bit creepy...




Although the weather man said that Thursday would be bright and sunny, it turned out to be cloudy and quite windy. It was probably one of the worst weather days of the week and so naturally it was when I went on a boat cruise down the River Spree.






I loved this boat cruise because you can see almost all of Berlin's major tourist attractions in 1 hour.






After going past the Reichstag, we saw other buildings (below) which had been designed my Norman Foster, and he builds such weird shaped buildings with holes in etc. so it was really fun to see!






I wasn't sure if I would have time to see Checkpoint Charlie so I just went for a really brief visit. It was so crowded (as usual) and I would have liked to have spent more time here.






I'm not actually hugely interested in history in general, but I think that German history is something I find quite fascinating (even though it is really sad) because I feel like it's more current. So visiting Checkpoint Charlie was really fun and I really wanted a picture with the guards but I was too scared to ask!




While I was in Berlin I decided that I wanted to do something different that I hadn't done before. After searching for places to go I decided to go to the Natural History Museum.




This decision was probably inspired by the fact that they have huge dinosaur models, and having recently seen Jurassic World I'm on the verge of being obsessed!






I would really recommend the science museum because it was really interactive and fun and it doesn't take hours and hours to go round.




The TV tower (or Fehrsehrturm) is something that I had been looking forward to all week, so yesterday morning when I woke up to blue skies I was like: ideal!




I had such a good view of all of Berlin, which makes a change to the last time I came, because when I came before it was so cloudly and foggy that you couldn't even see the ball at the top of the tower (above), from the ground!




After some last minute shopping I went to catch my plane and say goodbye to Berlin :(


I had such a great week and hope you have enjoyed my blog posts!


Love


Emma

xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sights and Stripes

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig