The more I learn Spanish, the worse I speak English!

Hi chums!

Today I wanted to do a language post because I haven't done one in a while. As I write this I am sitting in the house of the most amazing family who I am aupairing for in Spain. 

Being here makes me think a lot about language and words and so today I decided I would write about one of the things I've been thinking about lately: how, despite English being my mother tongue, I seem to speak it grammatically worse, the more I learn other languages.



The family I am aupairing for are half Spanish, half English, so they speak both Spanish and English really well. And yet, I worry that I am not speaking English to the children that well and don't want to influence their language in a bad way.

Don't get me wrong because it's not like I'm swearing or saying anything particularly bad, but it's things where sometimes I actually have to think twice because I'm saying something wrong, such as 'more hard' instead of 'harder', or 'difficulter' instead of 'more difficult'. These kind of things sound really obvious when you think about it, but in the moment you're just not quite sure.

Another example is that I just wrote an email which included the word 'positivity' and I had to sit for a while thinking about whether it was a real English word or whether I had made it up!



I don't know whether you would class some of my language as slang, or whether I just speak English badly!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this in the comments below:

Do you ever find yourself getting confused with your own language? Do you use a lot of slang that could be confusing for a foreigner?

Love

Emma
xxx

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sights and Stripes

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig